Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Madewell Review: Tomboy Workshirt

The Madewell Tomboy Workshirt comes in sizes XSmall to XLarge, colors Deep Marsh and Vintage Gold, and retails for $88.00. The description on the Madewell website reads:

Refined yet rustic: A lovingly worn-in workshirt, it'll take you from sunrise to sunset in low-key style.

Boyfriend fit.
Cotton.
Machine wash.
Import.

The shirt had been in my shopping bag for a long time, and I finally took advantage of the extra 30% off promo that Madewell offered the week before last to order it in the Deep Marsh colorway. My only regret is that I waited so long to get it, as it was absolute love the moment I pulled it out of the bag and put it on. The shirt is incredibly soft (think wearing your PJs soft), comfortable to wear, very well-made, and the quality is excellent.

The fit is described as boyfriend, which means it is ever slightly oversized, but I still went with the size Small since I have broad shoulders. The larger size fits me better since the shirts at Madewell usually have narrower shoulders, in my experience. Plus I like to allow for any kind of shrinkage that might occur when it's laundered. For reference, my measurements are 36.5/26.5/37.5, I am 5'4", short-waisted, and have a 31" inseam.



The Deep Marsh color is a beautiful dark olive green (the picture below is closer to the color IRL than the image above), and works as a great neutral, making the shirt very versatile. I also love the extra little detail of the second button under the collar...



It has a slight shirttail hem...



It can be worn on its own for a crisp fall (or spring) day, layered under a jacket when temperatures start to drop, and layered over thermals then worn under a sweater and coat once winter arrives. I know for a fact that I will be wearing mine layered all fall and winter long. This is how I wore it on 10.1.14 when the temperatures were in the upper 40's/lower 50's...


Outfit details:

*Madewell Tomboy Workshirt in deep marsh
*J.Crew Excursion Quilted Vest from 2012 in warm bisque (link goes to my J.Crew pinterest board) - This Year's Version comes in a similar shade of light ivory
*Old Navy Bootcut Jeans in new rinse
*Gold Crossbody Bag from TJ Maxx last year - Similar here and here
*Mossimo Supply Co. Katherine Engineer Boots in brown leather

I personally love the shirt, am very happy with my purchase, and would recommend it to anyone wanting a well-made, comfortable, and versatile heavy duty cotton shirt.

What are your thoughts on the Madewell Tomboy Workshirt? Have you seen it IRL, or perhaps even tried it on? Do you already own it, or have it on your wishlist? Please do share...I always love to hear from you! :)

***If you have a Madewell review that you would like to share online with myself and other readers, please feel free to email it to me, and I will be more than happy to post it.
Include your thoughts, any pictures you might have, links (if you like), etc. My email is allthingssimplified.me@gmail.com.



P.S. I've shared more pics of what I wore last week in this post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment