Saturday, October 11, 2014

Madewell Review: Plaid Cinch Vest

The Madewell Plaid Cinch Vest comes in sizes XXSmall - XLarge, color true black, and retails for $178. The description on the Madewell website reads:

A sleek wrap style in nubby tweed, this sleeveless design is such a statement piece—try it under a structured coat or pop it on top of a chunky knit sweater. (Bonus: It's lightweight enough to wear indoors too.)

True to size.
Wool/rayon/nylon.
Dry clean.
Import.
Madewell.com only.


The vest had been on my watch list since it's debut on the website back in August, so I took advantage of the extra 30% off that Madewell offered a few weeks ago to give it a try. Prior to ordering, I emailed my VPS to ask measurements for both the XSmall and Small. Based on the measurements she gave me, I ordered the size Small, however, I should have gone with the XSmall, as I have about a two-inch overlap at the waist when I snap it closed. It isn't as noticeable when I have it belted, but it does still feel slightly too large, and the extra fabric around my waist is a bit uncomfortable. Plus, it does not look right if I were to wear it open. For reference, my measurements are 36.5/26.5/37.5, I am 5'4", short-waisted, with broad shoulders, and a 31" inseam.


(Sorry about the lighting...this was the only time of day I could get my review pics snapped. I doubt I would wear the leopard blouse with the vest, but it's what I had on the day I was taking the photos.)


The vest has a detachable belt and functioning pockets with faux-leather trim...


There are two large button snaps at the waist...


More faux-leather under the collar...


The vest is lined in poly...


It has a back vent that will need to be unstitched once it arrives...


From the side...


One more view...


Overall I like the vest. I think it would be cute with a black turtleneck and skinny jeans, worn over a skirt, or paired with different colors such as red, hot pink, burgundy, and emerald green. However, I am returning it. The fabric felt just 'ok' to me, and the size just didn't feel right. If I were able to get it on a super markdown then I would consider ordering it again, but in the smaller size.

What are your thoughts on the Madewell Plaid Cinch Vest? Have you seen it IRL, or perhaps even tried it on? Do you already own it, or have it on your wishlist? Please do share...I always love to hear from you! :)

***If you have a Madewell review that you would like to share online with myself and other readers, please feel free to email it to me, and I will be more than happy to post it.
Include your thoughts, any pictures you might have, links (if you like), etc. My email is allthingssimplified.me@gmail.com.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you reviewed this vest. I've been wanting to try it since I first saw it. I waited too long, though, and my size sold out.
    I think it looks great on you, even though you said it is too big. It doesn't appear that way from the photos.
    The fabric sounds disappointing, though. What didn't you like about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi maryeb! The size small does work ok for me when tied at the waist, but it didn't leave me the option to be able to wear it open, as it really looked too large that way. As for the fabric, it feels quite rough, and seems as if it could be prone to snags. It is probably due to the blend, which is 52% wool, 30% viscose, & 18% nylon. The vest is still really cute, but I do not think it is 'full-price cute'. I would try to catch it on sale. It has sold out before, but then got restocked, so I'm sure you will be able to catch your size online at some point. You could also call one of the Madewell stores to see if they have one in stock for you. HTH! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete