Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Madewell Review: Coated Roadtrip Jacket




The Madewell Coated Roadtrip Jacket comes in sizes XXSmall to XLarge, color black coal, and retails for $138. The description on the Madewell website reads:

This military-inspired field jacket features authentic details: epaulets, flap pockets, a detachable hood and a softly worn-in waxed finish. Made of a cool bonded-tech fabric with a traditional plaid on the flip side (for a bit of contrast when you roll up your sleeves), it's just the lightweight layering piece for ever-changing weather.

True to size.
Cotton.
Spot clean only.
Import.

I have been in need of a raincoat with a hood, so after Alexis recommended this jacket over on her J.Crew Aficionada blog last month, I decided to give it a try. Madewell ran a 30% off sale the week before last, plus the jacket was on promo, so I took the opportunity to give it a try. The jacket finally arrived last week, so I wanted to post some pics for those who may be interested in it.

The Coated Roadtrip Jacket is the same silhouette as the Outbound Jacket, Outbound Jacket in Vintage Dyed Camo, and All-Weather Outbound Jacket (all of which I currently own).


I'm wearing...
*Old Navy Bootcut Jeans in new rinse
*Mossimo Supply Co. Katherine Engineer Boots in brown leather

The fit is true-to-size, so I went with the size Small since I have broad shoulders. While I can wear the XSmall, I find that the larger size fits me better since the jackets at Madewell usually have narrower shoulders, in my experience. Plus I like to allow for any kind of layering that I might need to do as the weather gets colder, and I can easily layer a hoodie under this size. For reference, my measurements are 36.5/26.5/37.5, I am 5'4", short-waisted, and have a 31" inseam.




The jacket has a detachable hood and an adorable, navy/green/yellow/white plaid lining.



There is a 'cord' at the waist that allows you to either cinch it in or wear it more loosely depending on what you're wearing underneath, or the particular look you're going for.



The jacket has four functioning pockets, and closes with both a zipper and snaps. It's hard to tell in the picture above, but the zipper and snaps are black, which I quite prefer over the bright gold that J.Crew and several other retailers use quite frequently on their jackets.



Overall I really like the jacket. The silhouette is flattering, it feels quite comfortable on, the plaid lining is adorable, the hoodie is a good size to actually protect your head from the elements, the hardware matches the jacket to give a more understated, yet still chic appearance, and I got it at a really great price. The downside is that I'm not sure how well it will work in serious downpours, so it may not fill the raincoat void in my wardrobe. It is really cute though...

What are your thoughts on the Madewell Coated Roadtrip Jacket? Have you seen it IRL, or perhaps even tried it on? Do you already own it, or have it on your wishlist? Please do share...I always love to hear from you! :)

***If you have a Madewell review that you would like to share online with myself and other readers, please feel free to email it to me, and I will be more than happy to post it.
Include your thoughts, any pictures you might have, links (if you like), etc. My email is allthingssimplified.me@gmail.com.



4 comments:

  1. Oh no, Melissa not another Madewell jacket I may need to order based on your review. I have seen this jacket in store and love the look of it, maybe I will try it on when I do my return tonight. No wonder you look amazing in jeans at 5' 4" and having a 31" inseam, you are all legs! Thanks for the tip on the All Weather Outbound jacket, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JRSConifer...you are too kind! I'm so glad you were able to get the All Weather Outbound Jacket. It really is fabulous, isn't it? That price was such a steal, too! I'm not sure if they're still running an extra % off in stores, but the coated roadtrip jacket is on promo, so the additional discount would apply if you're interested in giving it a try, too. :)

      Delete